Friday, March 5, 2010

Lightening Strikes

A quilt made by quilters in different places using the fence rail block and a Singer Featherweight sewing machine.


My new Featherweight.


Ria and Nat are both using vintage Featherweight machines. Mine is a new version of the old machine.


Sewing with my new Featherweight is a joy. It weighs 11lbs like the original and is great to take to quilt group.


The blocks are laid out 2 light strips and 3 medium to dark strips.


All the strips are cut from scraps. Some date back to quilts and garments made in the 1980's.I found a box of little bits that needed to be used while cleaning out sewing room.


The zig zag pattern created by the placement of the blocks is called streak of lightening .
I'm looking forward to seeing how the scraps go together.





Terry



5 comments:

ria vogelzang said...

Hi Terry, great to see your Singer Featherweight! That is also a cuty!!
I LOVE featherweights!! ;))
Lovely blocks did you make! So nice to see that scrappy look!
I didn't know that it was called "streak of lightening"..... the name suites the block!
Have a nice day!

kaiteM said...

hi Terry, sorry to jump in quickly before, i could see what was going on so thought i'd play with it!
Your lightning quilt looks great, and the little Featherweight does the job well.
I saw a "New Home" Singer in Orange recently which had come from Orange in America and had found a 'new home' in Orange, NSW! But it wasn't for sale, pity. Hugz, Kaite

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

That Featherweight looks great Terry...where did you get it from...Perhaps I could do with one...Dzintra♥x

Nat Palaskas said...

Hey Terry, good job on the "streak of lightening" blocks and good to have you joining us. I might have to make a second one using the scraps too. Love your featherweight. Yes me too, where did you get it from. Kit needs a new sewing machine! Hugs Nat

Anonymous said...

Terry,
You and Nat are such enablers, I am getting the itch to start a rail fence too, giggle. Love your colors and I can't wait to see it finished.

Blissfully Stitching,
Bobbie